Sunday, September 28, 2008

DID I MENTION I HATE LAUNDRY

I hate doing laundry. If you know me, you know that my house is, most of the time, close to spotless. However, I HATE doing laundry. Not so much the actual washing/drying. I hate the folding/hanging up/putting up part. I need everyone to understand how much I despise it before you read this next part. I really, really hate it. Okay...

My husband has just finished his P90X workout (which was the subject of my very first blog, "Inspired"). He worked out 6 days of the week for 90 days, after the kids were asleep, for over an hour each night. He reached the end of his 90 days, and I'm SO PROUD of how he kept his goal of doing this for 90 days. He mentioned that it would be interesting to see what other goals we could accomplish for 90 days.

Which is where the laundry comes in. After some discussion (he says it's all my idea but I'm almost positive I was manipulated in some way) the plan is that I'll commit to doing one load of laundry a night. To some of you, this is no big deal. Some of you perfect, laundry-loving readers are exclaiming right now, "What? Amy, this shouldn't be a big deal...if you do a load every other day or so, the laundry never piles up! Why is this something you have to commit to? Why are you acting like you're signing away your life?"

And I say to you, shut up. I hate laundry. I'm fully aware that the smart thing to do would be to keep it going throughout the week and it would never pile up. I'm smart enough to grasp the concept of laundry physics. The thing is, I have great intentions as I put the clothes in the washer, still good intentions when they go into the dryer. But then, this INTENSE rationalizing-procrastonating evil persona takes over, and I leave them in the dryer. Or, on good days, they make it into a basket (on exceptional days when I've taken a chance and gotten half-caf at Starbucks they get laid out on the couch, but being the good nursing mom that I am, that's really rare). So, the clothes get crumpled, wrinkled, lost, and end up having to be rewashed. You understand the horrible laundry cycle that has me trapped.

So...the goal...I'm going to do a load of laundry a day. Kris kindly pointed out to me that if I do a load a day, eventually I'll run out of clothes. I kindly pointed out to him that with two kids that dirty up at least 2 outfits a day, towels, sheets, bibs, burp rags, blankies, etc. that I'm confident this goal's not going to suffer because of a lack of things to wash. I kindly pointed out some other things to him as well, but that's for another blog...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel the same way about laundry!!!!!

Elizabeth said...

First, since when do we say shut up? More importantly, why don't you just make a deal with me that for 90 days you will break a commitment each and every day. Problem solved..let's go shopping!!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed